Weight loss is certainly a hot topic these days. Just type ‘weight loss’ on Google and you will get thousands of links – how to exercise, how to count calories, how to plan your meal, what diet to follow, the best diets for weight loss and so much more!
These links and articles might be very good, however, these do not address the most important criteria which everyone who is trying to lose weight must deal with. How can you deal with constant hunger pangs while you’re trying to lose weight?
No matter how motivated you might be to lose weight, there is one thing which could ruin your efforts – hunger! This is why hunger control needs to be the core of any weight loss plan.
To deal with these “hunger pangs”, it is very important to know how and why we get hungry.
You might be surprised to know that these days, most of us follow diets which are low in terms of nutrition and nutrients but are high in calories. Basically, it is this lack of nutrition which leads to food cravings, insatiable hunger, and low metabolism. Unfortunately, all these above-mentioned factors can really hamper your weight loss journey.
Today we have an endless supply of readily available food, but we are still not well nourished. This is thanks to all those processed foods that are not giving you proper nutrition, yet are making you obese. Despite how much we eat, we are still suffering from improper nutrition as most of the calories we eat are coming from the packaged food. Due to this, our immune system also suffers, resulting in colds, flu’s, and other diseases.
The malnourished body is always hungry and experiences a lot of food cravings. Think about this – if you are constantly hungry, you are definitely at risk of obesity. So what we can do is simply choose a variety of foods daily, to follow a healthy diet plan based on high nutrition.
Here are certain tips to control your hunger pangs:
Always remember to choose foods that take up a lot of space in your stomach like fruits, veggies, grains etc as these type of foods that make you feel full for a longer time. Plus such foods are lower in calories and higher in nutrition, which aids your weight loss program. By eating such whole foods, your body will be able to stay healthy, and at the same time, it will prevent you from overeating. Follow these simple tips to lose weight in a healthier and happier way.
- Eat one bowl of raw salad every day, and make sure you include dark leafy greens in it. Opt for an oil-based dressing. Choose omega 3 fats like olive oil, flaxseed oil etc.
- Include two whole fruits in your daily diet and avoid any fruit juices.
- Eat at least one to two serving of legumes each day.
- To maximize nutrition, opt for plant-based proteins like soy, nuts, seeds, beans, legumes and eat less animal-based protein like red meat, beef, pork as reducing its intake will also lower your intake of pro-inflammatory saturated fat.
- Try optimizing your omega 3 and omega 6 fat ratio by choosing unrefined foods containing a healthy balance of omega 3 to omega 6 fats like chia seeds, flax seeds, walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds etc.
- Eliminate foods containing these empty calorie ingredients:
- Eat whole grains like brown rice, amaranth etc. Swap the bread made from refined flour with whole grain bread.
- Eat at least 2- 3 serving of veggies every day.
- Start strength training as it helps in building the lean muscles. The more muscles, the better your body will be at handling glucose, which means less fat storage.
- Drink more water than what you think you need, as the body treats even mild dehydration as hunger. This could often result in overeating as we are not able to distinguish thirst from hunger.
- Chew your meal well and try chewing every bite 7-8 times as it will help you to eat slowly.
- When you are feeling hungry eat at that moment, otherwise you might overindulge later.
- Try enhancing your food with healthy flavors like lemon, vinegar, cinnamon etc. as it will not only make your meal tastier but it will also help you to stay full for a longer time.
We hope these healthsum tips will help you achieve your weight loss goals! Remember for long-term results, always focus on nutrients rather than the calories as it will help you to achieve your weight loss goals in a healthier and happier way.