Are you looking for a healthy snack that you can eat when hunger rings? Do you always look for some delicious snack to serve your kids when they feel hungry? Why not try out making dried apple chips! They are just amazing for lunch boxes and even as a packable snack. There are various good reasons to eat apples – these are the great source of fiber and nutrients. On top of everything, apples are naturally sweet and do not contain any added sugar.
There is no need for a dehydrator to make apple chips. It is simple and quite easy to make soft dried apples or crispy apple chips at home and that too on your own in your oven. Furthermore, the preparation does not need any added sugar.
Here’s how to make appetizing dried apples and apple chips in a home oven:
1. Place the racks in the upper and lower thirds of oven. Preheat the oven to 200°F. Align 2 big baking sheets using the parchment paper.
2. Take a bowl and mix 4 cups of water and 1/2 cup of lemon juice. Lemon juice is used as it helps prevent the chips from browning.
3. Take a knife or mandolin and 2 apples. Now slice these apples as thin as possible with the help of a knife. Take the slices and soak them in the lemon water for around half an hour. Now drain and dry these slices using paper towels. You can now lay these on the prepared baking sheets.
4. Now bake these slices on the upper and lower racks for around an hour. Then take them out of the oven and twist each slice over and bring the pans back to the oven. Bake for 1 more hour to make them soft and dried apples or around 2 more hours for crunchy apple chips.
5. Turn the oven off, open the door and let the apples remain in the oven until the oven cools completely. This will take nearly 1-2 hours time. Store the chips in the airtight container for up to 1 week or you can also refrigerate them for up to 1 month.
Here are some time-saving tricks:
1. Let the peels be there. Save time and miss out on peeling the apples at the first stage. This will keep hold of the fiber from the peels.
2. Give up on coring the apple. The star-shaped core in the middle of each dried apple makes it look attractive.
3. Soft dried apples contain a chewy texture and taste as delectable as the apple chips. Moreover, these take comparatively lesser time in the oven. To make the apple chips crispy, bake them for an additional 1 hour.