Khichdi is a Wholesome food and has the perfect balance of almost all the nutrients. It is easy to digest and easy to cook as well. So let’s cook some khichdi and get most out of it . Here comes a simple and quick recipe to cook and make it your own comfort food.
- 1/8 cup Brown Masoor Dal
- 1/4 Cup Yellow Dal
- 1/2 Cup rice
- 1 piece Carrots
- 1 small potato
- 2 cauliflower
- 8 Beans
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- A pinch of hing
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 inch ginger (Finely Chopped)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Chilly Red Powder
- 2 cardamom Green
- 1 cardamom Black
- 4 black pepper
- 2 Cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 4 Cups water
- Wash and Soak the rice in water for an hour.
- Roast the lentils in a pan and keep aside.
- Roughly chop all the vegetables.
- Heat the Ghee in a pressure cooker add hing, then Cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- When mustard Seeds start crackling add green cardamom, black cardamom, black pepper , cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf and stir.
- Add Ginger and stir, add turmeric and red chili powder.
- Now add all the vegetables and stir for few minutes
- Add roasted lentils then soaked rice and mix well.
- Add water and salt and pressure cook. After the first whistle lower the flame and switch off the flame after few minutes.
- Open the cooker after 10 -15 minutes. Serve hot
The recipe here is just one way of representing khichdi, as it can be cooked in different ways using different ingredients depending upon region to region. We all know that every 20 miles we travel in India the taste of dal changes, as the ingredients change and the way of cooking khichdi changes . However khichdi still continues to be the essence of our food culture.
Send us your favourite khichdi recipes and pictures, and we’ll post some on our page!